DEERFIELD, Ill., August 16, 2023 - Walgreens is offering in-store vouchers and off-site vaccination clinics through its employer vaccination program, and is rolling out a low-cost, 2 results in 1 test for flu and COVID-19 this fall respiratory virus season. These new services support insights gleaned from a recent consumer survey commissioned by Walgreens that reveals many prefer going to local pharmacies because of their ease and convenience.1
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230816575526/en/
Key findings from a survey of more than 1,000 adult consumers include:
- When asked about how consumers feel coming into this year’s flu season, the top three feelings mentioned were calm (37%), aware (32%) and prepared (30%); as opposed to less than 10% of consumers noting anxiety (9%), reluctance (7%) or worry (6%).
- When asked about important factors in deciding to get a flu shot, time was most frequently mentioned (41%), as people want a quick and easy experience. Expertise (38%) and efficacy (38%) were tied as the second most important factors.
- More than half of respondents said they view pharmacies as easy and time efficient for flu shots (57%), convenient to home and/or work (51%) and cost-effective (50%).
“These insights demonstrate that people recognize pharmacies as a convenient and easy place to receive vaccinations,” said Kevin Ban, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Walgreens. “To meet this demand, we are removing friction to help keep our communities protected this fall. Our expert pharmacists are prepared to ensure everyone gets the appropriate prevention, testing or treatment they need this season through offerings such as our in-store vouchers for employees or new, low-cost 2 results in 1 test for COVID-19 and flu.”
Walgreens’ new services will help communities to get ahead of respiratory virus season with accessible and timely options for vaccination, testing and treatment all in one place.
- Employer Vaccination Program:
- Walgreens is offering an in-store voucher program to employers which would allow employees to schedule an appointment and come into a Walgreens location at a time convenient to them.
- Off-site employer vaccination clinics are another convenient offering and option for eligible individuals to receive their seasonal and routine vaccines. These clinics will be staffed by our highly trained pharmacists, who can answer questions and educate individuals on the latest health guidance.
- Employers interested in hosting a vaccination clinic at their workplace can visit WagsOutreach.com/Immunization-Contact-Us.
- COVID-19/Influenza A and B Test:
- For individuals 3 years and older experiencing respiratory symptoms, Walgreens is making it easier to get tested by offering an easy 2 results in 1 testing option for COVID-19 and influenza A and B. The low-cost test will be administered by a pharmacist via a single swab, with results within 30 minutes.
- Based on increasing positivity rates shown in the Walgreens COVID-19 Index and higher or earlier flu activity in several Southern Hemispheric countries compared to what was seen prior to the COVID-19 pandemic2, Walgreens is working to make this test available by mid-September.
- Treatment: Simplifying a path to recovery for patients, Walgreens pharmacists will be able to prescribe COVID-19 treatments nationwide and flu treatments in select locations.
Walgreens is offering flu and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) vaccination appointments nationwide and will provide the new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended COVID-19 vaccine once available later this fall.
To make a vaccination or testing appointment, individuals can visit Walgreens.com/ScheduleVaccine or Walgreens.com/Testing, download the Walgreens app or call 1-800-WALGREENS.
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) is included in the U.S. Retail Pharmacy and U.S. Healthcare segments of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), an integrated healthcare, pharmacy and retail leader with a 170-year heritage of caring for communities. WBA’s purpose is to create more joyful lives through better health. Operating nearly 9,000 retail locations across America, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health destination serving nearly 10 million customers each day. Walgreens pharmacists play a critical role in the U.S. healthcare system by providing a wide range of pharmacy and healthcare services, including those that drive equitable access to care for the nation’s underserved populations. To best meet the needs of customers and patients, Walgreens offers a true omnichannel experience, with fully integrated physical and digital platforms supported by the latest technology to deliver high-quality products and services in communities nationwide.
1 KRC Research conducted the immunization study using an online omnibus survey of n=1,010 U.S. adults ages 18+. This survey was conducted from July 24 to July 26, 2023.
2 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “CDC Tracks Ongoing Flu Activity in the Southern Hemisphere.” June 23, 2023. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/2022-2023/ongoing-flu-southern-hemisphere.htm
Walgreens Media Relations