The availability of additional boosters for certain individuals comes as the U.S. is seeing an uptick in certain regions of the country in COVID-19 positivity rates, with a sharp increase in the highly transmissible BA.2 subvariant to nearly 70% of all positive cases nationally, according to the Walgreens COVID-19 Index.
“With COVID-19 cases on the rise and vaccine immunity waning over time, older adults and those who are immunocompromised are at an increased risk for severe disease from COVID-19,” said Kevin Ban, M.D., chief medical officer at Walgreens. “Vaccines and boosters are effective at reducing the risk of infection and preventing hospitalization and death, but more than half of eligible Americans have not yet gotten the recommended first booster shot.1 As we strive to reach a more manageable endemic state, it is critical for everyone to get up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters as they become eligible.”
What You Need to Know About Additional Boosters:
- Adults Aged 50+: Adults aged 50 and older who received an initial COVID-19 vaccine booster dose at least four months ago are now able to receive an additional Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine booster dose.
- Immunocompromised Individuals: Immunocompromised individuals aged 12 and older who received an initial COVID-19 vaccine booster dose at least four months ago are now able to receive an additional vaccine booster.
- J&J Vaccine Recipients: Additionally, adults aged 18 and older who received a J&J COVID-19 primary vaccine and J&J COVID-19 vaccine booster dose at least 4 months ago are now eligible to receive an additional Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine booster dose.
- Scheduling an appointment is preferred and will be available via the Walgreens app or online at Walgreens.com/ScheduleVaccine starting Friday, April 1, with walk-in appointments available today through Friday, as store capacity allows.*
- When scheduling an appointment, individuals will verify their date of birth and provide the manufacturer and date of their last COVID-19 vaccine.
*Scheduling for individuals for immunocompromised individuals will be available in the coming days.
 CDC. “COVID Data Tracker.” March 28, 2022. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations_vacc-people-onedose-pop-5yr
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) is included in the United States segment of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), an integrated healthcare, pharmacy and retail leader serving millions of customers and patients every day, with a 170-year heritage of caring for communities. As America’s most loved pharmacy, health and beauty company, Walgreens purpose is to champion the health and well-being of every community in America. Operating nearly 9,000 retail locations across America, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health destination serving approximately 9 million customers each day. Walgreens pharmacists play a critical role in the U.S. healthcare system by providing a wide range of pharmacy and healthcare services. To best meet the needs of customers and patients, Walgreens offers a true omnichannel experience, with fully integrated physical and digital platforms supported by the latest technology to deliver high-quality products and services in local communities nationwide.
Walgreens Media Relations