Cancers of the skin are by far the most common of all types of cancer, according to the American Cancer Society, with 3.3 million Americans diagnosed each year. And while risk factors such as age, gender, race and family history can’t be controlled, you can lower your risk by managing how you care for your skin when you step outside.
Choosing the right products and maintaining a care regimen are critical factors for getting through the summer with healthy skin. Walgreens brand sun care products are formulated with the exact active ingredients as national brands, and all are Walgreens pharmacist recommended.
- Look to 50: Fadowole says broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with SPF 50 is a good number to protect against the sun’s ultraviolet radiation—especially for those who are active outdoors—and identifies Walgreens Sunscreen 50 Sport Lotion as a good choice. However, as skin of all colors and shades gets older it gets thinner and is more susceptible to damage. Walgreens Age Protection for Face Sunscreen with SPF 110 is specially formulated to protect against the aging effects of sun exposure.
- Dark skin needs protection, too: People with darker skin aren’t immune to skin damage from the sun and should be mindful of protecting themselves when they venture outside, according to Fadowole. “I have dark skin, but I’m aware that any time I’m in the sun my skin is exposed to ultraviolet rays, which is what causes skin cancer,” he says. “Dark skinned people like me can’t take skin protection for granted. Even if we’re not as likely to get skin cancer as those with lighter skin tones, the sun can still cause damage, so I recommend sunscreen with at least SPF 30, like Walgreens Hydrating Sunscreen Lotion.”
- Remember to care for your skin when you’re inside: Healthy summer skin doesn’t begin and end with sunscreen, it also requires a daily regimen when you’re inside, says Fadowole. “Using a facial moisturizer like Walgreens Daily Moisturizing Lotion and a face serum like Walgreens Hydrating Water Gel is a great way to avoid the wrinkles and lines that come from too much sun.”
- Want chemical-free protection? Try a mineral-based sunscreen instead: With zinc oxide as its active ingredient, Walgreens Sheer Mineral Face Sunscreen provides excellent UVA and UVB protection naturally. Mineral-based sunscreens are lightweight, oil-free and absorb into your skin quickly without sacrificing protection.
- If you get sunburned there’s a treatment for that: Sometimes, despite even the most careful attempts at prevention, the sun wins and you get burned. Sunburns can range from mild to severe, but can be treated with products that cool, hydrate and heal burned skin. Fadowole recommends both Walgreens After Sun Gel, which offers a cool, soothing treatment for sunburned skin, and Walgreens Dye-Free After Sun, which is made to moisturize sensitive, sunburned skin without dyes or fragrance.