DEERFIELD, Ill., Nov. 20, 2012 - Walgreens (NYSE: WAG) (Nasdaq: WAG) is introducing for the first time via the Walgreens mobile app a mystery Black Friday mobile coupon that customers can access for instant, in-store savings. Walgreens also has introduced the latest updates to its mobile app, providing more features and functionality for users. These updates allow for more personalized and relevant experiences for easy access on-the-go or in-store.
Walgreens will provide mobile app users with the ability to receive a mystery offer. When users open the Walgreens app home screen beginning Black Friday through Sunday, Nov. 25, they can “swipe to reveal” exclusive Walgreens offers and discounts on Starbucks Doubleshot® Energy Coffee products at their local Walgreens. The Walgreens app is easily integrated into the iPhone’s Passbook, where the offers will also appear.
“This promotion is an excellent example of how technology and innovation work together to provide customers with a great offer that increases engagement and enhances their shopping experience,” said Sona Chawla, president of e-commerce for Walgreens. “At a time when shoppers are out looking for the best deals, we’re making it easy by sending real-time, relevant offers directly to them.”
Also available through the Walgreens mobile app from Friday through Sunday is a chance to enter a Black Friday sweepstakes to win 1 million BalanceTM Rewards points, redeemable for merchandise at Walgreens stores or at Walgreens.com. Walgreens in September launched the Balance Rewards customer loyalty program, which offers customers ways to save, earn points and get rewarded for purchases, services and healthy behaviors.
In addition to the mobile coupon promotion and the sweepstakes, Walgreens updated its app by enhancing several features including the following:
- QuickPrints: The application that enables users to print photos directly from their devices to any Walgreens store now provides photo editing functionality powered by Aviary. The editing tools and technology are accessible within the Walgreens app QuickPrints feature. Also new is the ability to order canvas or poster prints from iPhone and iPad mobile devices in as little as an hour.
- Local Shopping: For users shopping with the app, they can now set a preferred store and even search for products at that location.
- In-Store Maps: The platform allows customers to use a digital shopping list to map and locate items in a store by posting a pin on the map.
- Seasonal Guides: Users can quickly access Walgreens new magazine, Happy and Healthy: Your Guide To Living Well With Walgreens.
- Holiday Cards: Walgreens is offering 16 new unique holiday card templates, which can be accessed and customized via the iPad app. The cards, which come in packs of 20 along with envelopes, are available to pick up at a local Walgreens in about an hour.
As the nation's largest drugstore chain with fiscal 2012 sales of $72 billion, Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) vision is to become America’s first choice for health and daily living. Each day, Walgreens provides more than 6 million customers the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice in communities across America. Walgreens scope of pharmacy services includes retail, specialty, infusion, medical facility and mail service, along with respiratory services. These services improve health outcomes and lower costs for payers including employers, managed care organizations, health systems, pharmacy benefit managers and the public sector. The company operates 8,030 drugstores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Take Care Health Systems is a Walgreens subsidiary that is the largest and most comprehensive manager of worksite health and wellness centers and in-store convenient care clinics, with more than 700 locations throughout the country.
Robert Elfinger, 847-315-2962