Expansive two-story, state-of-the-art Walgreens brings a one-of-a-kind drugstore experience to the heart of Chicago’s historic State Street shopping district
DEERFIELD, Ill., Jan. 9, 2012 - Walgreens (NYSE: WAG) (NASDAQ: WAG) tomorrow will welcome residents, commuters and visitors to its new two-story flagship location at the corner of State and Randolph on Chicago’s historic State Street. The store, which opens to the public at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 10, features an extensive collection of innovative offerings, products and services unexpected from a drugstore.
The store opening marks a return to the landmark location of 151 N. State St. for Walgreens, which operated a store at this corner from 1926 to 2005.
“This store brings together our most innovative, forward-thinking initiatives under one stunning roof, and we couldn’t be more proud to make its debut in our hometown,” said Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson. “Just as we did with our store here in the 1920s, we’re again offering the ultimate in service, convenience, assortment and community pharmacy. Customers will be delighted by a drugstore unlike anything they’ve ever experienced.”
The store’s expanded and groundbreaking features include:
- An enhanced, state-of-the-art pharmacy designed to encourage greater interaction between pharmacists and patients. An iPad equipped health guide will help pharmacy customers navigate a wide range of health and wellness products, services and resources including immunizations and health tests. The pharmacy also features an “Ask Your Pharmacist” desk, consultation rooms, a Health Corner space to host health and wellness community events and Express Rx kiosks for swift checkout.
- A Take Care Clinic offering a wide range of health care services including vaccinations, health tests, physicals and treatments for common illnesses and minor injuries.
- An Upmarket Café offering a barista preparing fresh brewed premium coffee, including the exclusive State and Randolph brand. A bakery will serve a range of fresh baked breads and pastries daily.
- A juice bar featuring fresh fruits and vegetables and made-to-order smoothies. The chocolate malted milkshake invented by a Walgreens soda fountain manager in 1922 also will be served. Or, customers can opt for self-serve frozen yogurt.
- A wide variety of fresh hand-rolled sushi and sashimi prepared daily.
- Hundreds of fresh food items including produce and high-quality, on-the-go meal options such as wraps, sandwiches and salads made fresh daily.
- A Coca-Cola Freestyle machine dispensing 130 varieties of Coca Cola fountain drinks.
- A best-in-class wine selection boasting more than 700 fine wines will pair well with artisan and brie cheeses as well as an assortment of specialty meats, decadent chocolates and more.
- A LOOK Boutique beauty department featuring dozens of prestige and niche cosmetic, skincare and hair care brands not typically found in drugstores. Specially-trained beauty advisors are on hand to offer guidance finding the best solutions for individual needs. A Nail Bar will offer professional manicures with the latest colors from essie and OPI. Expert shaping and grooming services will be available at the Eyebrow Bar. In addition, customers can try new cosmetic shades and styles at the innovative Virtual Makeover kiosk.
“This unique urban retailing concept raises the bar for drugstore retailing and sets us apart in our industry,” said Joe Magnacca, Walgreens president of daily living products and solutions. “As we transform from a traditional drugstore to a retail health and daily living destination, this store demonstrates how we are a central part of life for many who live and work in this dynamic and thriving community. We look forward to serving them with this new shopping and wellness experience for years to come.”
The store will be open from 6:30 a.m. until midnight Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. until midnight on Saturday and 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. on Sunday.
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) is the nation's largest drugstore chain with fiscal 2011 sales of $72 billion. The company operates 7,818 drugstores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Each day, Walgreens provides nearly 6 million customers the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice in communities across America. Walgreens scope of pharmacy services includes retail, specialty, infusion, medical facility and mail service, along with respiratory services. These services improve health outcomes and lower costs for payers including employers, managed care organizations, health systems, pharmacy benefit managers and the public sector. Take Care Health Systems is a Walgreens subsidiary that is the largest and most comprehensive manager of worksite health and wellness centers and in-store convenient care clinics, with more than 700 locations throughout the country.